Site icon Milltown Historical Society

The South Main St. Firehouse

Eureka Engine Company #1 with Fire Museum at rear of property

The Milltown Fire Department was incorporated on Feb. 22, 1911 as The Eureka Fire Company No. 1. In 1922, this Company was disbanded and two new Companies were Incorporated:Eureka Engine Co. No. 1 located on South Main Street which currently houses 2 Engines. 
Eureka Hose Company No. 1 located on Cottage Avenue which currently houses 1 Engine and 1 Ladder. Eureka Engine Company No. 1, of the Milltown Fire Department, continues to operate out of the building to this day but not for much longer! Although the cupola is gone and an addition has been made, the firehouse looks much the way it did in 1889. The original blackboards from its school days are still being used to log fire calls.

The building played a very important role in the history of Milltown, serving capacities crucial to the community. In addition, this is the oldest structure in Middlesex County housing an active and functioning Fire Department.

Milltown Fire Departent org. 1911 Banner
Exit mobile version