This Day in History: May 13th, 1910

This Day in History: May 13th, 1910


Contractor Kerwin Threatens to Consult Attorney Unless Borough Fathers Settle- Other Live Notes.

MILLTOWN, May 13.-The Borough Council held its regular monthly meeting at the Borough Hall last evening Mayor Richter, Councilmen Wagner, Kuhlthau, Rappelyea, Miller, Bauries, and Borough Clerk Harkins were present.

The following bills were ordered paid: Public Service Corporation $201.60; John Patterson, $4.50; Mrs. August Rhonish, $1.95; Public Service Corporation, $252.

The Collector’s report showed a balance on hand on May 12th, of $3,409.14.

A communication from the Public Service Corporation asking permission to lay gas mains from Van Liew avenue to Washington avenue and on Washington avenue in order to convey gas to another town was accepted and ordered filed.

The standing and special committees reported progress.

Spencer Perry, of Riva avenue, acting as a representative of the Milltown Coal and Lumber Company received permission to speak before the Council. He stated that Van Liew avenue was soon to be extended twelve hundred feet to the grounds of the company and that as there was to be some dirt excavated, he offered it to the Borough to fill up the places on the avenue which were not up to the grade. The matter was voted to be left in the hands of the street committee with the power to act.

Milton Brindle and Gilbert Gill representing the local order of Red Men addressed the Council and asked for sufficient electricity to have moving picture entertainment in the hall. The matter was left in the hands of the Light Committee.

Charles Sevenhair, the Borough treasurer, asked the Council what it intended, doing about oiling the streets. He was informed that the matter was al ready being considered by the street committee.

Mayor Richter then announced that the Council would go into executive session.

The matter that was probably brought up in this session was the “Kerwin job.” Two months ago the Council received a letter from Mr. Kerwin the contractor for the curbing and laying of gutters on South Main street in response to a communication from the Council stating that his work was un-satisfactory. In his letter the contractor declared that the work was daily inspected by an inspector appointed by the Council and was also inspected by Ex-Mayor Perry and Engineer Snyder He also stated that unless the percentage which was being held by the Council was paid he would consult an attorney.

This is the problem that the Council had to face last evening. All persons not in the Borough Council including the Home News and Times correspondents were refused admittance

Mrs. Annette Vanderventer has sold her home on South Main street to J. Dilks, of Main street. Mrs. Vanderventer contemplates moving to South River in the near future.

George J. Griewe, of Washington avenue, has rented the farm of L. Klinks. The new home on Riva avenue belonging to Joseph Rupprecht is progressing nicely. Adam Christ is the contractor. Monsieur Sagenson has purchased a handsome Reo car.

August Zetman, formerly of Washington avenue, has moved to Perth Amboy Mrs. G. J. Griewe is spending a few weeks at Hempstead, Long Island. The Milltown Coal and Lumber Company expects to break ground for the railroad siding next Monday,

Mrs. C. H. Vanderuzen, of Ford avenue, has returned home, after pleasant two weeks’ visit at Livingston Park. Rev. and Mrs, J. W. Morris attended the District Stewards Convention at Atlantic Highlands yesterday.

A number of local people attended the W. C T. U. Convention held at Pitman M. E. Church, New Brunswick, last evening.

Leave a Reply