This Day in History: November 13th, 1908

This Day in History: November 13th, 1908




The Milltown Borough Council last night passed resolutions directing that stores in the borough be closed all day Sunday. The only exception is that barbers may shave their customers up to noon on the Sabbath.

It was declared at the meeting, however, that some of the barbers have been having pool games in their places on Sunday. The action of the council specifically orders that this be ceased. As it stands now, nothing but a shave can be purchased in Milltown on the Sabbath.

The council also considered the matter of having marshals patrol Milltown day and night and to this end appointed two new marshals, John Neidlinger and Henry Dupress.

Borough Council Frederick Weigel rendered an opinion concerning the Mayoralty vacancy caused by the death of Joseph Crabiel. He held that the borough council has a right to fill such vacancy. A special meeting of the council will be held next week to select a Mayor. The present acting Mayor is Spencer Perry, president of the council.

A number of bills were ordered paid last night. All the members were present.

This Day in History: November 8th, 1905

This Day in History: November 8th, 1905


The borough of Milltown went Republican, electing Roslyn M. Heustis Mayor over Joseph M. Crablel, by a majority, of five. Berthold Christ and Henry Dorn, Rep., were elected councilmen for three years over Charles Sevenhair and Frederick Cantor and Henry E. Lins, Rep., defeated Howard J. Bright, Dem., as councilman for two years. George C. Lins, Rep., defeated Charles Weyd, Dem., as nominee for commissioner of appeals.

This Day in History: September 16th, 1913

This Day in History: September 16th, 1913

Nobody Running for Mayor in Milltown

Democratic and Progressive tickets are practically blank—Republicans alone have named councilmen.

The political situation in Milltown is unique. The tickets are being printed for the primary election next Tuesday, but none of the three tickets has a candidate for mayor.

A reporter sought out a prominent resident of Milltown to find out the reason and he got this answer: “The simple reason is, that it is hard to get good men to go on the tickets anymore. There are men who are willing enough to be mayor, but the moment their names go on the ticket there is an opposition crowd set out to beat the man, no matter who he is. They do not want to elect their own man, but simply to beat the other fellow. The result is that good men will not allow themselves to be made monkeys of.”

The primary tickets in the borough are mostly blanks this year. The only borough man on the democratic ticket is Spencer Perry, for County Committeeman. The Democrats have no nominees for councilmen or mayor, nor do the Progressives.

The Republicans have put up William R. Evans and Clarence H. Crenning for councilmen and William Kuhlthau for County Committee. They would have put up a mayor but did not do so, because no man would stand for being made a target of opposition. Borough Clerk, Robert Harkins, is having the ballots printed now, and voters may write their choice in the blank spaces if they wish to.

This Day in History: April 28th, 1911

This Day in History: April 28th, 1911


Opposition Crops Out at Public Meeting in Milltown to Give Citizens Opportunity to Be Heard Upon the Subject.

MILLTOWN, April 28-A public meeting was held in the Borough Hall last evening to permit the citizens to express their views on the granting of a 50-year franchise to the New York Telephone Company for the operation and repairing of Their system on all the thorough- fares of the borough. The company at the present time has an unlimited franchise on North Main street, Washington avenue and Riva avenue, and has obtained from the Borough Council by special resolution the right to operate their system on Church street and Van Liew avenue.

Mayor Richter explained the purpose of the meeting and then gave the citizens the privilege of the floor. William Kuhlthau was the first speaker, and advised the Council to go slow; he said that 50 years seem- ed a very long time to him.

Charles Richter urged that the Borough Council limit the number of poles to be erected, and that they obtain the use of the poles for the electric light wires.

The company asserts that it will erect no poles without the permisslon of the citizens in front of whose property the pole is to be erected, and promises to give one telephone to the borough for every 50 subscribers. The company, if granted the franchise, will install a telephone in the Borough Hall.

As there were no more opinions offered the Council adjourned until May 5, when the bids for motor fire trucks will be received.

Fire Meeting.

The firemen held their regular monthly meeting in the club room at the Borough Hall last evening.

A great improvement is being completed on North Main street. The concrete sidewalks in front of the Bauries, Rappleyea, Sevenhair And Evans properties add greatly to the appearance of the thoroughfare-

Raymond Van Hise. who succeeded Christian Crablel in the South Main street grocery business, is daily improving the appearance of his attractive place and reports progress.

Rev. J. W. Morris will attend the banquet of the alumni of Pennington Seminary, held at the Hotel Martinique, New York, at 7 o’clock this evening.

Everyone is interested in the cake sale which is to be held at the M. E. parsonage tomorrow afternoon.

Miss Mildred Stelle is one of a luncheon party at Brooklyn today. The First Quarterly Conference of the M-E. Church will be held in the church lecture room to-morrow evening. District Supt. Dr. John Hand- ley will preside.

J. Ryan left the borough yesterday afternoon for Kansas City, where he will take up his duties as agent for the Michelin Tire Co.

Henry Baler has purchased a Maxwell touring car.

Oscar Harkins is enjoying many trips on his new twin cylinder seven horse power Indian motorcycle.

MILLTOWN, April 28-Weather permitting, the Crescents will go to South River to-morrow to play their second game of the season. It is thought that a large number of local enthusiasts will accompany the team, in order to size up the chances for a good season.

Paul Matske. well known as a ball player in New Brunswick and vicinity, a former catcher for the Rutgers Prep. School and Dayton teams, will probably make his initial appearance with the Crescents tommarow He will probably play one of the outfield positions.

J. Snedeker and Kuhlthau will compose the battery for the Crescents.

This Day in History: April 27th, 1926

This Day in History: April 27th, 1926

Milltown Trolley Tracks To Be Paved, Says Board of Freeholders

County Fathers Meet With Council, and Consent to Expenditure of $25,000 to Pave Dangerous Section From Booream Avenue to Lincoln Avenue

MILLTOWN. April 27-After years of waiting and patient agitation the borough council was assured last night by the Board of Chosen Freeholders that the trolley tracks from Booraem Avenue to Lincoln avenue would be paved. The county fathers were represented last night by Messrs. Dey, Orpen. Quackenbush and Haight, as well as Solicitor Richardson. A representative of the county engineer’s office was also present.

A report from Freeholder George Applegate who has control of this section, showed that the tracks were in treacherous condition Many times the officials of the town since Mayor Christian Kuhlthau’s term have tried to get the freeholders or Public Service to do something about the situation, Mayor H. R B. Meyers during his regime tried hard to make the powers to realize the existing dangers and they saw it but could do nothing without funds. Mayor Herbert during his term used every effort possible but the same story arose each time. Mayor Klotsback tried next and this year action will be taken. The freeholders advised the officials that the tracks would be filled in with Belgian blocks and on each side of the tracks as well as the Trenton Junction turn-in. This gratifying news was received by council with pleasure.

Milltown has needed its trolley tracks permanently repaired for years, and there will now be s possible chance to enforce a traffic system through the borough.

The freeholders stated last night that there may be a slight delay In the paving work as they intend to take the matter up with the Public Service, but that the promises would be fulfilled and the street fixed up this summer. The Job is quoted as a possible expenditure of $25,000.

Pass Ordinance

The ordinance for paved sidewalks on all borough side streets was read and passed last night on first reading. The second and final reading will be at the first meeting of May and then the people will have to start putting down their walks.

Fire Drill

The borough firemen were called out last night to fight a field fire at Trenton Junction. It was allowed to run back several hundred feet. Fire Chief H. A. Christ started the fire as a drill, unbeknown to anyone else. This was done by the chief, who after a careful survey of the fire hazards in the borough, deemed it best to burn out this brush near the Junction before a serious fire occurred. Both companies responded in fine time. Several streams of water were placed on the fire as it took in quite an area with many homes in the Immediate vicinity, Chief Christ would like to have people advise him where other fire hazards exist in the borough so he can then arrange to have the firemen take charge and burn them out.

This Day in History: April 17th, 1917

This Day in History: April 17th, 1917

Business Suspended Two Hours for Funeral of Milltown Mayor

MILLTOWN, April 17.- Business was suspended throughout the Borough of Milltown yesterday for a period of two hours. as the funeral services of the late Mayor William Kuhlthau, Jr., were being held. There were a large number of relatives and friends present to pay their last respects to the leading citizen of the town. There were representatives of the Borough Council, the Board of Education, the Board of Health, the firemen, Rescue Council No. 4. O. U. A. M., Wickatunk Tribe, No. 135, Improved Order of Red Men, New Brunswick Lodge 324, B. P. O. E. and many businessmen of the town present.

The services were conducted at the late home of the deceased by the Rev. William F. Barny, pastor of the German Reformed Church of this place. The pastor spoke very highly of the deceased and of the many plans he had underway for town improvement, etc. He praised the unselfish character of the Mayor for the work he had accomplished for the benefit of the town and organizations win it.

The floral tributes were exquisite and in abundance which showed the esteem in which he was held.

Several hundred school children marched from the public school yesterday afternoon to the home of the Mayor to view the remains for the last time, of their former Board president and contributed flowers. The Board of Education and Borough Council contributed a handsome floral piece in the way of a vacant chair. The Elks, the Michelin people, and other organizations and friends contributed flowers very liberally.

The pallbearers were two representatives each of New Brunswick Lodge No. 324, B. P. O. E., Rescue Council No. 4, O. U. A. M.. of Milltown, and Wickatunk Tribe No. 135, Improved Order of Red Men, of Milltown.

Services were held at the grave by Rescue Council No. 4, O. U. A. M., and Wickatunk Tribe No. 135. Improved Order of Red Men. Interment took place in Van Lieu Cemetery under the direction of Undertaker Quackenboss, of New Brunswick.

Besides a widow, Mrs. Josephine Kuhlthau, the mourners are a son Russell Kuhlthau, father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. William Kuhlthau, Sr… of Milltown, A brother, Charles Kuhlthau, of New Brunswick, and a sister, Mrs. J. M. De Hart, of Morris Park, L. I.