This Day in History: May 16th, 1918

This Day in History: May 16th, 1918

Borough to Observe Memorial Day as President Suggested

MILLTOWN, May 16.-Exercises, consisting of community chorus singing, special solos, a patriotic address and other numbers, in which it is desired the town people will heartily participate, will be held on the evening of Memorial Day at the Michelin Park, in keeping with the spirit of President Wilson’s proclamation to observe the day with humiliation, I prayer and fasting.

This was decided on at a meeting of the Milltown Civic Celebration Committee, recently appointed by Mayor Christian Kuhlthau, held in the public school last evening. Mayor Kuhlthau presided and under organization J. H. Junker was elected secretary and H. R. B. Meyers, treasurer.

Last Memorial Day the exercises were held in the morning and were preceded by a street parade in which the various fraternal orders, Red Cross, Fire Department, Boy Scouts, etc., participated, but in view of the call of the President it was felt proper to simply have services appropriate to the occasion. The program will start at 7:00 p. m., so that the service will be completed before night falls. Holding the service in the evening will avoid confliction with any of the local churches that may de- sire to hold morning services in line with the President’s proclamation.

Some question arose as to the advisability of taking advantage of the open air facilities provided at the Michelin Park or using the public school, but it was finally decided to use the park as on former patriotic gatherings. Should it be stormy, however, the school will be used.

Speaker Secured.

A speaker’s committee consisting of J. H. Junker, chairman; Edward Emens, J. M. Crablel was appointed and Mr. Junker immediately used the telephone to get in touch with the Rev. Mr. E. H. Keator of the Reformed Church of Franklin Park, who consented to deliver the address of the evening. The committee is well pleas- ed with securing Rev. Keator for he Is a speaker of some note.

H. R. B. Meyers was appointed to arrange for a community chorus choir and to secure someone to same Mr. Meyers will also arrange for the music for the occasion.

It developed from the secretary’s report a balance of $29.82 remained over from last year. Added to this are donations of $25 by the Borough Council: $10 by Mayor Kuhlthau, and $5 from C. P. Stelle. Further contributions are solicited as the program will entail some little expense.

Councilman H. J. Schlosser was asked to make the introductory remarks for the speaker of the evening. The following committees were appointed:

Reception Committee-Mayor Kuhlthau, Henry Kuhlthau, H. J.

Schlosser Ushers Committee-Lester Snedeker, Albert Skewis, W. R. Evans, Charles Bauries, C. V. L. Booream.

Program Committee C. B. Crablel, Lester Snedeker, Henry Kuhlthau.

Everyone of the borough who desires to secure a Smileage book to send to some soldier can get same from Robert A. Phillips, of Booream avenue, who has charge of the sale of the books in Milltown. The cost par book is $1.00 and for the amount of pleasure it will give a soldier through the entertainments he will be able to enjoy in the Liberty Theatres. in camp, it is the best possible kind. of a gift.

Through arrangements with the Michelin A. A. the public school in conjunction with the club will conduct a moving picture show in the school next Monday night, May 20th. The school has enrolled 91 per cent. of its pupils as Junior Red Cross members and whatever profit is derived from the show, will be used to enroll the remaining nine per cent. 80 that there may be a total enrollment. of 100 per cent.

This Day in History: May 15th, 1923

This Day in History: May 15th, 1923


MILLTOWN. May 15.-The regular meeting of the borough council was held last evening in the borough hat with Mayor H. B. Meyers presiding. Those present were Clerk H. J. Schlosser, Attorney J. R. Appleby, Engineer C. P. Stelle, Collector William R. Evans, and Councilmen J. P. Herbert, W. H. Kuhlthau, Charles B Crablel, Charles W. Christ, and John Christ Superintendent Samuel Spiers, and Assistant Superintendent John Bauries.

An application was received from Marcus Wright of South River to have the electric current extended, the other side of Bog Brook in order to enable him to operate electric motors to be used in getting out clay and sand and preparing same for the building industries It was favored by the council, and when approved by the Public Service this extension will be made, all- expenses being paid by Mr. Wright. This will be a big industry employing a number of men when it is completed.

Most all of the property owners In North Milltown are in favor of the permanent curb and gutter being laid when the new road is put down, the expense being paid by them.

All sewer and water connections must be made within the next month as construction of the new road will no doubt begin about the middle of June.

The following bills were received and ordered paid:
Eldridge T. Mathis .. .. .. .. .$328.00
Samuel Spiers.. .. .. .. .. .. ..        2.00
N. J. State League of
Municipalities.. .. ..   25.00
H. A. Christ.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..   11.70
Christian Jensen .. .. .. .. .. ..  12.00
Borough of Milltown .. .. ..      2.40
Frank Van Syckle .. .. .. .. .1,265.00
H. A. Christ.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..    4.23
NY. Telephone Co.. .. .. .. ..   16.25
Nicholas Young  .. .. .. .. .. ..  42.25
H. A. Christ.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..    7.20
William M. Beecher  .. .. ..       25.05
Joseph F. Rupprecht  .. .. ..        5.50
NY. Telephone Co.. .. .. .. ..        7.10
NY. Telephone Co.. .. .. .. ..        2.20
H. A. Christ.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..     13.50
Borough of Milltown.. .. .. ..    81.00
H. A. Christ.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..       5.61
C. W. Kuhlthau .. .. .. .. .. ..       62.00
Public Service.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 333.58
H. A. Christ.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..    35.43
Usher Publishing Co… .. .. ..   35.58
Borough of Milltown.. .. .. ..   50.50
Borough of Milltown.. .. .. .. 427.25
Twinvolute Pump Mfg. Co..  450.00
Twinvolute Pump Mfg. Co..  147.94

In answer to the letter written the Public Service in reference to the condition of the road between the tracks over the bridge, they advise same will be repaired as soon as it can be reached with the limited number of men at the company’s disposal.

The new fire truck has been delivered and accepted by the council. It was given a thorough test on all of the hills in the borough and had no trouble in making the grades on high gear. As soon 25 the bids are received the new truck will be painted, when this is completed Milltown will be in first class condition to handle all fire emergencies which may develop.

Joseph Auer. James Titter and Louis Jensen have been accepted by the council as members of Eureka Engine Co. No. 1 to fill vacancies and bring the department up to the required number of twenty-five men.

The borough ordinance is still in effect on dog licenses. As only twelve have been issued this year there will be several minus their pets in the near future, as the police have been ordered to seize all dogs not tagged and if not called for within twenty-four hours said dogs will be destroyed.

The following building permits have been issued by the building inspector:

Joseph R. Stokes. 25 Richter avenue, frame garage. $300.

H. J. Schlosser, 5 School street, frame garage, 750.

Victor Quetzky. 19 Church street. addition to dwelling. $350

George T. Reimers, 40 Richter avenue, frame garage, $150.

St. Paul’s Reformed Church, frame addition to social hell. $4,000.

The total fees for the above permits, amounting to $18, have been collected and turned over to the borough collector.

Fifteen dollars each was donated by the council to the G. A. R. veterans and the American Legion for Decoration Day celebration.

Mrs. Albert Skewis while stepping from a trolley in front of the traction office in New Brunswick yesterday morning fell and seriously injured her ankle.

This Day in History: May 13th, 1910

This Day in History: May 13th, 1910


Contractor Kerwin Threatens to Consult Attorney Unless Borough Fathers Settle- Other Live Notes.

MILLTOWN, May 13.-The Borough Council held its regular monthly meeting at the Borough Hall last evening Mayor Richter, Councilmen Wagner, Kuhlthau, Rappelyea, Miller, Bauries, and Borough Clerk Harkins were present.

The following bills were ordered paid: Public Service Corporation $201.60; John Patterson, $4.50; Mrs. August Rhonish, $1.95; Public Service Corporation, $252.

The Collector’s report showed a balance on hand on May 12th, of $3,409.14.

A communication from the Public Service Corporation asking permission to lay gas mains from Van Liew avenue to Washington avenue and on Washington avenue in order to convey gas to another town was accepted and ordered filed.

The standing and special committees reported progress.

Spencer Perry, of Riva avenue, acting as a representative of the Milltown Coal and Lumber Company received permission to speak before the Council. He stated that Van Liew avenue was soon to be extended twelve hundred feet to the grounds of the company and that as there was to be some dirt excavated, he offered it to the Borough to fill up the places on the avenue which were not up to the grade. The matter was voted to be left in the hands of the street committee with the power to act.

Milton Brindle and Gilbert Gill representing the local order of Red Men addressed the Council and asked for sufficient electricity to have moving picture entertainment in the hall. The matter was left in the hands of the Light Committee.

Charles Sevenhair, the Borough treasurer, asked the Council what it intended, doing about oiling the streets. He was informed that the matter was al ready being considered by the street committee.

Mayor Richter then announced that the Council would go into executive session.

The matter that was probably brought up in this session was the “Kerwin job.” Two months ago the Council received a letter from Mr. Kerwin the contractor for the curbing and laying of gutters on South Main street in response to a communication from the Council stating that his work was un-satisfactory. In his letter the contractor declared that the work was daily inspected by an inspector appointed by the Council and was also inspected by Ex-Mayor Perry and Engineer Snyder He also stated that unless the percentage which was being held by the Council was paid he would consult an attorney.

This is the problem that the Council had to face last evening. All persons not in the Borough Council including the Home News and Times correspondents were refused admittance

Mrs. Annette Vanderventer has sold her home on South Main street to J. Dilks, of Main street. Mrs. Vanderventer contemplates moving to South River in the near future.

George J. Griewe, of Washington avenue, has rented the farm of L. Klinks. The new home on Riva avenue belonging to Joseph Rupprecht is progressing nicely. Adam Christ is the contractor. Monsieur Sagenson has purchased a handsome Reo car.

August Zetman, formerly of Washington avenue, has moved to Perth Amboy Mrs. G. J. Griewe is spending a few weeks at Hempstead, Long Island. The Milltown Coal and Lumber Company expects to break ground for the railroad siding next Monday,

Mrs. C. H. Vanderuzen, of Ford avenue, has returned home, after pleasant two weeks’ visit at Livingston Park. Rev. and Mrs, J. W. Morris attended the District Stewards Convention at Atlantic Highlands yesterday.

A number of local people attended the W. C T. U. Convention held at Pitman M. E. Church, New Brunswick, last evening.

This Day in History: April 28th, 1911

This Day in History: April 28th, 1911


Opposition Crops Out at Public Meeting in Milltown to Give Citizens Opportunity to Be Heard Upon the Subject.

MILLTOWN, April 28-A public meeting was held in the Borough Hall last evening to permit the citizens to express their views on the granting of a 50-year franchise to the New York Telephone Company for the operation and repairing of Their system on all the thorough- fares of the borough. The company at the present time has an unlimited franchise on North Main street, Washington avenue and Riva avenue, and has obtained from the Borough Council by special resolution the right to operate their system on Church street and Van Liew avenue.

Mayor Richter explained the purpose of the meeting and then gave the citizens the privilege of the floor. William Kuhlthau was the first speaker, and advised the Council to go slow; he said that 50 years seem- ed a very long time to him.

Charles Richter urged that the Borough Council limit the number of poles to be erected, and that they obtain the use of the poles for the electric light wires.

The company asserts that it will erect no poles without the permisslon of the citizens in front of whose property the pole is to be erected, and promises to give one telephone to the borough for every 50 subscribers. The company, if granted the franchise, will install a telephone in the Borough Hall.

As there were no more opinions offered the Council adjourned until May 5, when the bids for motor fire trucks will be received.

Fire Meeting.

The firemen held their regular monthly meeting in the club room at the Borough Hall last evening.

A great improvement is being completed on North Main street. The concrete sidewalks in front of the Bauries, Rappleyea, Sevenhair And Evans properties add greatly to the appearance of the thoroughfare-

Raymond Van Hise. who succeeded Christian Crablel in the South Main street grocery business, is daily improving the appearance of his attractive place and reports progress.

Rev. J. W. Morris will attend the banquet of the alumni of Pennington Seminary, held at the Hotel Martinique, New York, at 7 o’clock this evening.

Everyone is interested in the cake sale which is to be held at the M. E. parsonage tomorrow afternoon.

Miss Mildred Stelle is one of a luncheon party at Brooklyn today. The First Quarterly Conference of the M-E. Church will be held in the church lecture room to-morrow evening. District Supt. Dr. John Hand- ley will preside.

J. Ryan left the borough yesterday afternoon for Kansas City, where he will take up his duties as agent for the Michelin Tire Co.

Henry Baler has purchased a Maxwell touring car.

Oscar Harkins is enjoying many trips on his new twin cylinder seven horse power Indian motorcycle.

MILLTOWN, April 28-Weather permitting, the Crescents will go to South River to-morrow to play their second game of the season. It is thought that a large number of local enthusiasts will accompany the team, in order to size up the chances for a good season.

Paul Matske. well known as a ball player in New Brunswick and vicinity, a former catcher for the Rutgers Prep. School and Dayton teams, will probably make his initial appearance with the Crescents tommarow He will probably play one of the outfield positions.

J. Snedeker and Kuhlthau will compose the battery for the Crescents.

This Day in History: November 22, 1913

This Day in History: November 22, 1913


MILLTOWN, Nov. 22.-An adjourned meeting of the Borough Council was held last evening. Mayor Conrad Richter presided. Councilmen Chas. Baurles, Henry Kuhlthau, Geo. E. Crabiel, Al Skewis, B. Miller, Clerk R. A. Harkins, Messrs. C. W. Waddington and R. B. Sheppard of the water commission board were present.

The following bills were ordered paid:

Chas. Hoffman. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 2.00

Home Insurance Co. . . . . . . . . . . $12.80

C. P. Stelle. . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . $239.35

Mrs. John Lins was permitted to remove two trees in front of her property on Clay and Church streets The trees had been damaged by lightning.

A resolution approving the plans and specifications of the Sewer and Water Commission was adopted.

An ordinance regarding the widening of Riva avenue, from Main to Clay street was introduced passed on the first reading.

The ordinance provided that the borough would remunerate property owners for any damage that might be incurred and if agreement could not be made the Borough will have the right to condemn such property as may be necessary to obtain the desired width.

Prior to introduction of the above ordinance a petition from several property owners along the avenue was presented.

A resolution was adopted that the borough clerk post notice of intention for widening of the avenue in five of the most prominent places in the borough.

On motion the clerk was authorized to notify the railroad as to the condition of the crossing at Main street near the Michelin Tire Co.

The clerk was also authorized to notify the Board of Freeholders as to the condition of the bridge crossing Lawrence Brook.

The light committee was authorized to purchase a transformer for use in connection with the ventilating system at the school.

On motion the clerk was authorized to send a special notice to the property owners along Riva avenue, who have not as yet signed petitions for widening of said avenue.

Milltown to Have New Order.

C. H. Crenning, who is well versed in lodge work, has decided to use his best efforts towards instituting an Order of Owls in the borough, provided he can secure the necessary signers to the petition, which he is about to circulate. While the Order of Owls is practically now here in the East, it was founded at South Bend, Ind., in November, 1904. During its existence the growth has been marvelous, and branches of the order have been established in nearly every State in the Union as well as through Canada. Nearly 1,900 nests have been instituted with a membership of over 300,000.

The owls have a furnished home for their orphans where they educate them, at South Bend, Ind. They also have their own hospital. They now have a bill before Congress to set aside public land for a tuberculosis hospital and camp for the members of the order. They assist deserving widows of deceased members by a monthly pension. Their ritual; is beautiful and ennobling. They advocate no creed-nothing offensive to any man’s religion.

The special charter fee is $5 per member, and any one between the ages of 13 and 55 desiring to be- come a charter member may do so by singing the petition. After the charter is closed the regular initiation fee will not be less than $10; hence you can readily see the advisability of getting in on the ground floor.

The motto of the Order of Owls is as follows:

“There’s so much bad in the best of us,

And so much good in the worst of us,

It hardly behooves any of us

To speak ill of the rest of us.

They also have a toast, which reads as follows:

“Here’s to the man whose hand Is firm when he holds your own. Like a grip of steel that makes you feel

You’re not in the world alone.”

The new home of Charles Durham is nearing completion so far as the exterior is concerned.

Other Town Topics.

William Kuhlthau, Sr., is spending a few days at Morris Park, L. I. A reward of $10 has been offered. for information that will lead to the arrest of the parties that entered the building, adjoining Red Men’s Hall, and splattered paint, about the walls and floor.

At the Churches.

At the Methodist Church there will be special revival services, both morning and evening, and in the event of Miss Annie Agnes Smith, the evangelist, not putting in an appearance, Rev. L. L. Hand will occupy the pulpit. There is, however a likelihood of Miss Smith being able to take up her duties here tomorrow.

At the German Reformed Church there will be memorial service in the morning at 10.30, and members of families that have been bereaved during the past year are especially requested to be present. Sunday school will be held at 9.30 a. m. as usual. Young People’s Society will meet at 7 o lock and usual evening service will be held at 7.30. there will be services held on thanksgiving Day at 10.30 a. m.