This Day in History: November 22, 1913

This Day in History: November 22, 1913

ORDINANCE TO WIDEN RIVE AVE. IS PASSED


MILLTOWN, Nov. 22.-An adjourned meeting of the Borough Council was held last evening. Mayor Conrad Richter presided. Councilmen Chas. Baurles, Henry Kuhlthau, Geo. E. Crabiel, Al Skewis, B. Miller, Clerk R. A. Harkins, Messrs. C. W. Waddington and R. B. Sheppard of the water commission board were present.

The following bills were ordered paid:

Chas. Hoffman. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 2.00

Home Insurance Co. . . . . . . . . . . $12.80

C. P. Stelle. . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . $239.35

Mrs. John Lins was permitted to remove two trees in front of her property on Clay and Church streets The trees had been damaged by lightning.

A resolution approving the plans and specifications of the Sewer and Water Commission was adopted.

An ordinance regarding the widening of Riva avenue, from Main to Clay street was introduced passed on the first reading.

The ordinance provided that the borough would remunerate property owners for any damage that might be incurred and if agreement could not be made the Borough will have the right to condemn such property as may be necessary to obtain the desired width.

Prior to introduction of the above ordinance a petition from several property owners along the avenue was presented.

A resolution was adopted that the borough clerk post notice of intention for widening of the avenue in five of the most prominent places in the borough.

On motion the clerk was authorized to notify the railroad as to the condition of the crossing at Main street near the Michelin Tire Co.

The clerk was also authorized to notify the Board of Freeholders as to the condition of the bridge crossing Lawrence Brook.

The light committee was authorized to purchase a transformer for use in connection with the ventilating system at the school.

On motion the clerk was authorized to send a special notice to the property owners along Riva avenue, who have not as yet signed petitions for widening of said avenue.

Milltown to Have New Order.

C. H. Crenning, who is well versed in lodge work, has decided to use his best efforts towards instituting an Order of Owls in the borough, provided he can secure the necessary signers to the petition, which he is about to circulate. While the Order of Owls is practically now here in the East, it was founded at South Bend, Ind., in November, 1904. During its existence the growth has been marvelous, and branches of the order have been established in nearly every State in the Union as well as through Canada. Nearly 1,900 nests have been instituted with a membership of over 300,000.

The owls have a furnished home for their orphans where they educate them, at South Bend, Ind. They also have their own hospital. They now have a bill before Congress to set aside public land for a tuberculosis hospital and camp for the members of the order. They assist deserving widows of deceased members by a monthly pension. Their ritual; is beautiful and ennobling. They advocate no creed-nothing offensive to any man’s religion.

The special charter fee is $5 per member, and any one between the ages of 13 and 55 desiring to be- come a charter member may do so by singing the petition. After the charter is closed the regular initiation fee will not be less than $10; hence you can readily see the advisability of getting in on the ground floor.

The motto of the Order of Owls is as follows:

“There’s so much bad in the best of us,

And so much good in the worst of us,

It hardly behooves any of us

To speak ill of the rest of us.

They also have a toast, which reads as follows:

“Here’s to the man whose hand Is firm when he holds your own. Like a grip of steel that makes you feel

You’re not in the world alone.”

The new home of Charles Durham is nearing completion so far as the exterior is concerned.

Other Town Topics.

William Kuhlthau, Sr., is spending a few days at Morris Park, L. I. A reward of $10 has been offered. for information that will lead to the arrest of the parties that entered the building, adjoining Red Men’s Hall, and splattered paint, about the walls and floor.

At the Churches.

At the Methodist Church there will be special revival services, both morning and evening, and in the event of Miss Annie Agnes Smith, the evangelist, not putting in an appearance, Rev. L. L. Hand will occupy the pulpit. There is, however a likelihood of Miss Smith being able to take up her duties here tomorrow.

At the German Reformed Church there will be memorial service in the morning at 10.30, and members of families that have been bereaved during the past year are especially requested to be present. Sunday school will be held at 9.30 a. m. as usual. Young People’s Society will meet at 7 o lock and usual evening service will be held at 7.30. there will be services held on thanksgiving Day at 10.30 a. m.


This day in History: March 31, 1916

This day in History: March 31, 1916

BOOMING BOROUGH IS CORRECT NAME FOR THIS PLACE

Some New Announcement to Indicate the Town’s Growth Appears Daily – New Dry Goods Store –  Opening of Drug Store – Rev. Hand’s Family Get Another Surprise.


MILLTOWN, Mar. 31. The name of “The Booming Borough” can be applied better to Mllltown every day. As In addition to all we have said about new establishments here the latest to announce, even though some details are lacking, Is the breaking of ground on the Schoppe property yesterday for what is said will be a store and flat. The store, it is understood, will be in the nature of a ladies’ and possibly a gentlemen’s furnishing department to be conducted by the owners of the property.

There is but one regular dry goods store at the present time and the probabilities are that another establishment of this kind will be a success. The flats too will be in demand as under the present advantages of modern improvements they can be made very comfortable.

“The Booming Borough” can be applied better to Mllltown every day

The daily Home News – March 31, 1916

Formal Opening of Drug Store

The advertising columns of today’s issue announce the formal opening of Milltown’s new and only drug store by Alfred W, Moore, whose place of business is in the Rosse Building on Main street.

As stated, before Mr. Moore brings with him valuable experience gained by practical service In the laboratory of Charles Stuckert, prescription specialist of Trenton. A box of candy will he given to all customers as a souvenir at the opening tomorrow.

Harry Hermann to be Married

The engagement of Harry Hermann, captain of the Michelin track team, to Miss Pearl Johnson, of South River, has been announced. The nuptials will be solemnize on April 6. Captain Hermann is popular and has the sincere wishes of many friends for a happy future.

Ground Broken for Improvement

Ground has been broken for the installation of water in the Methodist parsonage.