MILLTOWN POST OFFICE IS AGAIN ENTERED
Thieves for the Second Time in Two Weeks Attack Post Office, But Are Frightened Away -Burglars Enter Raritan River Station and Get Umbrella and Collar Buttons.
When Assistant Postmaster J. Milton Brindle opened the post office building on Main street, Milltown, this morning, he noticed that the sorting table had been moved from its accustomed place against the wall. He recognized at once the fact that the post office had been entered for the second time within two weeks. He immediately, began to make- investigations and found, that the burglars had been unsuccessful as far as booty was concerned and had left the building empty handed.
A HOLE IN THE SAFE.
After further search, he found a hole in the side of the safe about half in inch in diameter and six inches deep. Evidently the men had been, frightened before their boring was competed.
Mr. Brindle, when asked how the burglars bad effected an entrance, conducted the writer to the rear of the building. The bars had been, torn from the window in the rear by the means of shearing the bolts which held toe bars to the window.
There were two holes bored in the woodwork in the back of the safe. It is thought that the visitors hoped to affect an entrance for their powder in tins way without danger of being seen at work.
Mrs. Catherine Kuhlthau, the; mother of C. W. Kuhlthau, arose at1 4 a. m. and lighted a lamp. It is thought by some that a reflection cast by this lamp had caused the intruders-t o cease from their labors.
RARITAN RIVER R. R. OFFICE ENTERED
The ticket office of the Raritan River Railroad, on. Washington avenue was entered by a window last night and an umbrella, belonging to the agent, B. Sheppard, together with a paper of collar, buttons and 46 cents in stamp was taken.
Mr. Sheppard said this morning “Those men were gentleman, I have some expense papers, which are worth money lying on the desk. They, were opened, but not disturbed.”
The men entered the coal office of Kuhlthau Brothers and removed a wrench and chisel, but it seems that no close search was made for valuables.
Police protection for Milltown is now an imperative demand.
One thought on “This Day in History: Feb. 4 1911”
For anyone interested the P.O. was located on Main Street at the end of School St accorind to the 1910 Sanborn Fire Map.