This Day in History: November 17th, 1924

This Day in History: November 17th, 1924

Attack Made Upon John Sanchev Near Milltown Church

Three unmasked bandits held up John Sanchev, aged forty-two years, of 1164 Ohio Avenue, Trenton, in front of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Milltown, at 10:15 o’clock last night while he was on his way to board a Trenton Street Line trolley for his home. Before the bandits were able to carry out the robbery, they were frightened away by the cries of their victim. Sanchev was mercilessly beaten by the bandits who rained blows upon his face and body, and when he was found by William Huff and Howard DeHart, two young Milltown men, his face was badly battered.

Huff and DeHart went in pursuit of the bandits but they escaped, one taking to the fields and shaking off his pursuers and the other two boarding a westbound Trenton trolley car. Sanchev was taken to the office of Justice of the Peace Joseph A. Headley of Milltown where he told his story of the assault and attempted robbery. Sanchev had reached the church, which is but a short distance from the Trenton trolley junction, when three men came upon him from the rear and, without explanation, began striking him. He tried his best to ward off the blows but they came so fast and furious that he was soon overpowered. Sanchev, who rifled his clothes, called for help and DeHart and Huff came to his rescue. The highwaymen made a hasty retreat.

When brought before Justice Headley, Sanchev stated that he had been visiting at the home of Mrs. Catherine Plassia and that he was in search of employment in Milltown. He was returning to his home in Trenton when the assault took place. He stated that he had $10 in his wallet at the time of the holdup which the bandits overlooked in searching him.

The police of Milltown and the state police made an investigation soon after the robbery was reported but did not find any trace of the bandits. Edward Beecher and William Beecher, Milltown marshals, joined the state troopers in searching for the bandits. The Trenton police were also notified to watch the incoming trolleys, but the men probably alighted before reaching Trenton, as no trace of them was found on any of the trolleys reaching Trenton before midnight.

Sanchev stated he believed the holdup men to be Frenchmen. When they left him in his dazed condition, Sanchev stated that he heard one of the men address the other as “Tenoff.” Sanchev went back to the home of Mrs. Plassia after having his injuries treated, and this morning he left for his home. Sanchev is a married man.

This Day in History: November 14th, 1907

This Day in History: November 14th, 1907

MILLTOWN, Nov. 14 – Mrs. Ralph Hanman, who has been ill at her home on Ford Avenue, is again able to be out. Mr. and Mrs. Lejoye, of Main Street, are visiting friends in Hartford, Conn. Mrs. Joseph King, who has been residing in New York for some time, is visiting her father, Adam Christ, of Boocsem Avenue. Mr. and Mrs. King are planning to go to Canada, where Mr. King will be employed. Alvin Nevires, Edward Hodapp, and Charles Wagner, who have been employed in Trenton, have resigned their positions there and will again make their home in the borough.

George Miller, of Church Street, is confined to his home due to illness.

LC.S. will meet at the home of Miss Anna Hoffer on Thursday evening. A number of the members of the D. of I. from our town attended the union meeting held at South River on Monday evening.

Mrs. Irving Van Sickle, of New Brunswick, spent some time with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Adams, of Ford Avenue, this week.

Mrs. William Warner, who has been seriously ill at the home of her father, John Kuhithan, is slowly improving. Benjamin McCauley, who has been employed out of town, has accepted a position with the Michelin Tire Company.

Henry Lins, who recently sold his butcher business to Martin Miller, has purchased a farm at Dunham’s Corner, formerly owned by Mr. Cuttrell, and is planning to move there.

The Milltown Kranken Huelfa Verein opened their fair Monday evening with a parade led by the fire and drum corps. It will continue every evening this week.


It is the New Hotel Recently Constructed by Elmer F. Sayre

MILLTOWN, Nov. 14 – Probably one of the finest and most up-to-date hotels in this vicinity is the “Marguerite,” owned by Elmer F. Sayre, which was recently constructed at the corner of Washington and Main Streets in the borough.

The hotel is of a Colonial design and is named “The Marguerite,” in honor of Mrs. Sayre. It is a frame structure, two and three-quarter stories high, with dimensions of 30×70 feet. The first floor contains the bar room, restaurant, kitchen, pantries, and a dumbwaiter. On the second floor is the parlor, bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a hallway connecting to a balcony over the veranda. Above this story are six bedrooms and bathrooms.

Hardwood floors have been laid throughout the house. A pneumatic water supply system has been installed, providing sufficient pressure to carry water to the uppermost floor in case of fire. The average pressure maintained is forty pounds, though it can be raised to fifty pounds if necessary.

The lot dimensions where the hotel stands are 60×250 feet. An ice house and stables will be erected there shortly.

The construction cost was approximately $9,900. It has all modern conveniences, and there is no doubt that the owner will meet with success. Mr. Sayre came to Milltown about six years ago and located on Washington Street, just below the power houses. The rates at the hotel will be within the scope of those who desire quality services.

The plans for the hotel were prepared by George K. Parsell, the architect of this city.

This Day in History: October 12th, 1916

Milltown National Bank 1924 - North Main Street

Milltown to Have a National Bank

J. Burr Herbert has received word from the Treasury Department at Washington, D. C., that the application of himself and four others to organize the First National Bank of Milltown has been approved. Announcement was made in the Sunday Times several weeks ago of such a plan.

There will be a lot of red tape to go through yet before the bank is established, but it is hoped to open it in January. The incorporators are John V. L. Booraem, Dr. N. N. Forney, Christian Kuhlthau, Charles C. Richter, and J. Burr Herbert.

This Day in history: October 9th, 1907

This Day in history: October 9th, 1907


The plant of the Milltown Enamel Works, located along the Raritan River Railroad, was sold by Sheriff Church this afternoon to John Whitehead, of South River, who had a claim against the place for $3,000. The sale was at the suit of George A. Van Wagenen, and the decree and costs amounted to $7,069.34.

Some additional History about The Milltown Enamel Works

The Milltown Enamel Works, later known as The Milltown Enamel Brick Company, was a notable entity in the early 20th-century brick manufacturing industry in Milltown, New Jersey. Initially incorporated as the Buckhart and Auer Company in 1900, it underwent a name change in 1901 and became a significant operation, producing specialized enameled, fire, and front bricks, but not common bricks. The company, which was listed as one of the top three industries in Milltown in 1901, even supplied the U.S. Navy in New York. In 1906, it partnered with the Harper Brick Company of Kinkora, N.J., but eventually ceased operations by 1911. Subsequently, the Milltown Terra Cotta & Fire Brick Co. was founded in 1909, rebuilt the old brick plant, and operated for a few more years before dissolving by 1913.

This Day in History: October 8th, 1918

This Day in History: October 8th, 1918


MILLTOWN, Oct. – The Board of Health last night decided, during the epidemic of influenza and pneumonia, to close all places where people congregate in the borough. The regulations went into effect this morning and, until the ban is lifted, all saloons, soda fountains, schools, churches, Sunday schools, lodge rooms, and clubs are closed. Last week there were only six cases of Influenza in town, and there are now at least 35 or 40.

An officer went through the town this morning, instructing all parents to keep their children in their respective yards. No congregation of children will be permitted. Public funerals, where the deceased died from influenza or pneumonia, are also forbidden.

Quarantine will not be placed on houses wherein there are influenza sick, but the patient will be quarantined. It is explained that the danger of contagion exists in personal contact.

Death of Fred Andrews

The death of Fred Andrews early Monday morning at the Middlesex General Hospital brought to a close a long struggle against disease. The deceased was born in Milltown but spent eight or nine years of his life in Colorado, seeking after health. The deceased was a member of Charles Walters Council No. 178.

War Relief Contributors

MILLTOWN, Oct. 3 – The following names are those of the Milltown War Relief contributors:

Daughters of Liberty, Chas. Heffner, Mr. Hanson, G. Gill, J. F. Leach, Chas Denhart, W. Hamon, Mr. Rider, J. Diehl, M. H. Geer, J. A. Selover, R. Cleland, Enos Huff, F. Rudnitzky, H. B. DeHart, Charles Fraser, B. Gil, M. Bailly, L. Porch, R. Patterson, L. Martinet, A. Souza, F. W. Pardun, H. Lins, A. Sheppard, C. Crabiel, J. Okerson, E. F. Sayre, C. Beecher, I. Mayenson, R. Manden, F. Miller, E. Elb, J. J. O’Connell, J. Holzer, M. Schneider, J. Melrose, Charles Schmidt, W. Bormet, H. Baler, J. Malleol, A. Gill, Mrs. M. Green, P. Cercy, J. Jacquemot, Mrs. J. Green, Y. Nelson, G. H. Walters, W. Crenning, A. Maxwell, W. Wallenbrock, B. Hortwiowich, H. Anderson, Y. LeRau, M. Wetzstein, C. Bruns, J. Doerr, Max Maserek, William Prill, Charles Lins, Robert Harkins, Rh Vilet, Borough Council, Boy Scouts, Rescue Council, Desire Bardon, Reformed Church Bible Class, Questionnaires, John Doerr.

Liberty Loan Campaign Lags

The Liberty Loan campaign in Milltown is beginning to lose its edge. Since the first three days, which witnessed a subscription total of $22,000, very few subscriptions have been turned in. While undoubtedly a number of the captains have reports to make, the quota of $39,000 is sufficiently far off to cause a little worry and force the realization that greater efforts must be made if Milltown is to do its share in the loan that has the earmarks of a victory loan. The captains and general committee will meet tomorrow night at the bank to make reports as to their territories. Captains that have not yet completed the canvass of their districts are urged to finish so that complete reports can be made on Tuesday night. The little blue button with the four bars means much these days. Get on the bandwagon and give Uncle Sam the money he needs and wear a button.

Milltown Fortunate Amidst Morgan Disaster

Milltown was exceedingly fortunate on Saturday, for while the Morgan disaster did damage many miles further away from the scene of the explosions than Milltown is located, practically no damage at all was done here. So far as is known, only one pane of glass was cracked, that being in the home of Mr. John Applegate on Main Street. The 10:30 o’clock warning to prepare for a greater explosion than any previous one caused great excitement. In a short while, windows all over town were up and stove fires put out. With valuables in hand, people waited on porches or congregated in the middle of the streets. It was not until late in the afternoon that things became normal.

Both fire engines were ready to take care of any fires that broke out. The Michelin Tire Co. sent all their employees home at 10:30 in the morning.

This Day in History: September 17th, 1912

This Day in History: September 17th, 1912

Michelin to Establish French School in Milltown

MILLTOWN, Sept. 17 – A French school is currently under preparation opposite the main office of the Michelin Tire Company. The initiative is said to appoint a French teacher to run a private school exclusively for the French children residing in the borough. This modern facility will be centrally located, heated by steam from the factory, and will operate independently.

Miss Felter previously taught at the institution for around three years; however, this was approximately a decade ago when there was a pressing need for a primary room. At that time, the only school serving north Milltown was housed in the building now functioning as the present post office.

In other news from the locality, Casper Gronley along with four friends embraced the traditional sport of coon hunting last Friday night, a popular pastime among several young men in Milltown. Despite not finding the exact species they were hoping for, they managed to catch one with a distinctive streak of white running down its back.

Last Friday evening also witnessed a group of young ladies showering Miss Mamie Christ of Van Liew Avenue with gifts, celebrating her upcoming wedding in a delightful gathering filled with joy and anticipation.

In the business sphere, William Becker and Oscar Lindstrom are on the verge of founding a plumbing and hardware company, which will be named William Becker & Co. Considering the ongoing surge in construction and renovation activities in Milltown, the prospects appear bright for their venture, and the community extends its best wishes for their success.

Lastly, we received news that Mrs. Hermann visited Philadelphia today.