This Day in History: October 23rd, 1918

This Day in History: October 23rd, 1918

Few New Cases of Influenza Develop; Help For Registrants

MILLTOWN, Oct. 23 – The number of new cases of influenza in the borough that has developed during the past several days shows a decrease. It was stated yesterday by a member of the Board of Health that if no increase took place and the State Board of Health lifted the ban on gatherings and permitted the saloons and ice cream parlors to reopen, it would likely be possible to also lift the ban in Milltown.

The report for Sunday and Monday showed 14 new influenza cases and 2 pneumonia cases, which indicated the epidemic in the borough was on the wane.

Help for Registrants

With the sending out of the questionnaires to the balance of the men by the draft boards, the need arises again for assistance in filling out the forms. No one has been delegated by the Legal Advisory Board of Middlesex County to attend to the work, but arrangements are underway to have assistants at the school house for the next week or ten days to help anyone desiring assistance with their questionnaire. There will be no one on hand tonight, but a notice will appear in this column when the assistants will be at the school. No charge is made for the assistance and neither is there any charge, as a rule, by the persons taking the required affidavits. In the past, the registrants desiring to pay for the help received have been given the suggestion a donation to the War Relief would be acceptable and in that way, the treasury of the War Relief has been helped. The money is used by the War Relief Committee to supply Milltown boys in the service with various articles.

Contributions are still being received by the War Relief, the latest being a donation of $5 from Fred W. DaVoe.

Former Milltown Resident Dies

The death of Thomas J. Collins, of Millville, Mass., a former resident of Milltown occurred on Monday, Oct. 21st. He will be buried on Thursday afternoon at Millville. In addition to his wife, the deceased is survived by seven children and a number of grandchildren, also three brothers, Horatio Collins in Vanderbilt Avenue, Milltown, and Hamlet and Robert Collins, of New Brunswick.

Mrs. Chris Dunn is now able to be about again after an attack of influenza. Mrs. J.J. Keller is convalescing from influenza. Miss Bertha Oehl spent Sunday at Summerhill, at the home of her sister, Mrs. R.J. Smith. Several members of the Eib family, of Fresh Ponds Road, are suffering from influenza. Harold Glines has recovered from an attack of pneumonia and is able to be around. Miss Mamie Schlachter is confined to her home with an attack of Spanish influenza.

The Lawrence Brook school will reopen on Monday, October 28. All pupils report for work.

ELECTION Day presents a glorious opportunity to better the living conditions of your children. Vote “YES” on the question of abolishing saloon licenses. Milltown No-License League. 021-41

This Day in History: October 17th, 1914

Days of Mud Gov. Car


MILLTOWN, Oct. 17 – In addition to the heavy auto truck that got stuck in the mud on North Main street yesterday, a horse owned by Alfred Christ encountered a similar problem. This occurred when Mr. Christ’s driver tried to cross an area that had recently been opened for the installation of water pipes near School street. As he did, the animal sank into the ground, and it took significant effort for him to continue his journey.

The large truck, which was stuck in the trench near the Methodist Church yesterday morning, blocked traffic for about two hours. It was only after being towed out by a trolley car that the chauffeur could continue. The chauffeur, a colored man, mentioned he was headed for Helmetta. This was his first time passing through Milltown, and he was unaware of the current conditions. Red flags and lights have been placed throughout the borough wherever there’s potential danger.

Other Local Items:
Around a quarter to six last night, there was a long blast from the Michelin gong, startling firemen from all parts of the town. In less than two minutes, the fire apparatus, under the direction of Chauffeur C.W. Waddington, was en route to the Michelin plant, where they believed a fire had broken out. Upon arrival, however, the firemen and many concerned residents discovered that the whistle rope had gotten caught in some unexplained way, and the gong couldn’t be stopped until the steam ran out.

Services will be held at the Methodist Church tomorrow at the usual hours. A special meeting of the official board of the Methodist Church is scheduled for Monday evening. At the German Reformed Church, Rev. Wm. F. Barney will lead the services tomorrow as usual, preaching in German during the morning service and in English in the evening.

This Day in History: October 14th, 1910

This Day in History: October 14th, 1910


Borough Council Takes Up Street Grading and Lighting Propositions—Cupid in the Choir Loft.

MILLTOWN, Oct. 11—Owing to the repairs being made to the Borough Hall, the regular meeting of the Borough Council was held in the public school building last evening. Mayor Richter, Councilmen Wagner, Kuhlthau, Hauries, Rappleyea, Borough Clerk Harkins, and Attorney Weigel were present.

The following bills were ordered paid: William Wegant, $10; Henry Frisch, $136.00; Christian Crablet, $150.00; George Amary, $149; John Patterson, $45.00; Conrad Freezer, $500; Charles Patterson, $40.80; Philip Helna, $3.00; William DeHart, $3.30; John Patterson, $50; Public Service Corporation, $16.00; John Strassburger, $10.00; John Ghock, $1.00. The report of the Borough Collector showed a balance on hand on October 13 of $3,328.71.


The property holders of Booraem Avenue petitioned the Borough Council that the thoroughfare be graded. Later in the evening, a resolution was adopted to establish such a grade, and the ordinance was passed on its introductory reading.


A petition was presented before the council last evening signed by the property holders on Riva Avenue, asking that the avenue be widened seven feet. The request also contained a statement that the property holders who signed were willing to donate to the borough 3 1/3 feet of their frontage for the work.

The question of Riva Avenue started three years ago, when an attempt was made to grade it. The work was never satisfactorily finished and, as a result, the avenue has been impassable during the spring months. At that time, the borough tried to secure the land so as to be able to widen the thoroughfare but was unsuccessful.

If the scheme can now be pushed, it will not only improve that thoroughfare but it will also speak better for the borough.


The residents of Ryder’s Lane once more petitioned the council for street lights, claiming that at night the lane was so dark that it rendered traveling precarious for man and horse. When this matter was brought up several months ago in the council meeting, the motion to light the thoroughfare was voted down. The communication was accepted and placed on file.


A motion was made last night to notify the Public Service Corporation to remove the blind ditches, formed of cobblestones, on North Main Street, within ten days. In July, Borough Clerk Harkins notified them and received an answer to the effect that they would be removed. Nothing has yet been done, and the condition of the road is at present a danger to the traveling public.


The Mayor appointed the Council committee to meet with the attorney and establish rules and regulations for the municipal electric light system. These rules will cover the minimum cost of light per month, the running of motors by the repair of meters and the inspection of the system, in general, were discussed. Attorney Weigel advised the council to hereafter purchase the meters and install them in the houses that desired electric light, diverging from the former practice where the consumer of the light owned the meter. It was voted that the Borough Clerk be authorized to notify a party on South Main Street to replace a meter which is out of repair.

After the regular meeting adjourned, the council came together as the committee on improvements to the borough hall. It was decided that a concrete flooring would be laid in the house for the apparatus.


Mrs. Joseph Crabiel, of School Street, has announced the engagement of her daughter, Miss Margaretta Crabiel, to Lester Snediker. It is understood that the wedding will take place early in November. Miss Crabiel, who is the daughter of the late ex-Mayor Joseph Crabiel, is employed in the office of the Michelin Tire Company and is very popular among a large circle of friends. Lester Snediker, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Olden Snediker, is also employed by the Michelin Tire Company, and is now in Cleveland on business for the company.

The romance can hardly be called a Michelin romance, as it probably started prior to the advent of the tire company in the borough. Some have hinted that Cupid lurked in the Methodist Episcopal Church choir loft. This is probably the case, and the rumor has it that another engagement will soon be announced.


The Wickatunk Tribe of Red Men will hold a barn dance at Parsons Grove on Saturday night. Good music will be in attendance and refreshments will be for sale on the grounds. William Lins has accepted a position with a wholesale meat house in New York.

Mrs. Charles Sevenhair wishes to notify the members of the Loyal Temperance Legion to meet at the Methodist Episcopal Church tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon at 1 p.m., prepared for an outing.

Dr. and Mrs. J.W. Morris and Joseph Crabiel are attending the Epworth League Convention at Farmingdale.


  • Newly built house. Inquire: John Richter, Milltown.


  • Seven-room house, with gas and water, Milltown. Contact: Ada M. Rappelyea, South River.


  • Six-room house, Fresh Pond Road, Milltown. See: John Zimmerman, Fresh Pond Road, Milltown.

This Day in History: October 12th, 1916

Milltown National Bank 1924 - North Main Street

Milltown to Have a National Bank

J. Burr Herbert has received word from the Treasury Department at Washington, D. C., that the application of himself and four others to organize the First National Bank of Milltown has been approved. Announcement was made in the Sunday Times several weeks ago of such a plan.

There will be a lot of red tape to go through yet before the bank is established, but it is hoped to open it in January. The incorporators are John V. L. Booraem, Dr. N. N. Forney, Christian Kuhlthau, Charles C. Richter, and J. Burr Herbert.

This Day in History: October 11th, 1920

This Day in History: October 11th, 1920


MILLTOWN, Oct. 11 – If the enthusiasm manifested at the Chamber of Commerce meeting here on Saturday night is any indication, the borough is set to enjoy one of the most elaborate Hallowe’en celebrations it has ever seen, filled with whimsical and festive spirit. The committee, bolstered by representatives from several organizations, has decided to shift the celebration from Monday, November 1, to Saturday night, October 30.

Twenty-two organizations were represented at the meeting on Saturday night, where considerable business was transacted to prepare for the grotesque exhibition. The representatives were brimming with enthusiasm.

It was unanimously decided that a parade would be held through the main streets of the borough and conclude with a grand celebration in the auditorium of the new Michelin Community House, which will soon be dedicated to public functions.

A parade committee was appointed as follows: Aubrey Kuhlthau, chairman; Miles Kuhlthau, John Dorn, Jacob DeHart, John H. Lins, and P. Schlumber. The line of march was decided upon and will be as follows: Assemble at Ford Avenue and Main, march to Clay, across Clay to Riva Avenue, down Riva Avenue to Main, down Main across the bridge to Lincoln Avenue, counter-marching on Main to the Michelin Community House where the celebration will conclude with a big dance and other features, organized by an appointed entertainment committee.

Prizes – Participants Note:

A prize committee was selected with Fred Wagner being made chairman, and Theodore Spediker and John Christ selected as assistants. The committee was given the authority to select the necessary prizes and also announce how the prizes would be distributed. The committee promptly decided on this and organizations and individuals who expect to enter the parade in some elaborate or comical way are urged to note the various ways they may arrange themselves to compete for the prizes.

The parade is destined to have a freak representation in line and in order to give opportunity to the organizations who desire to arrange themselves in this fashion, the committee decided to award a prize to such a band of grotesque warriors, as well as to the pretty-looking companies. Individuals can also enter the parade and prizes will be awarded to them as well. Organizations are asked to note that in order to compete for the prizes, they do not necessarily have to have a float in line, but being represented will answer just as well.

Five prizes will be awarded, one only for each class, with 20 second prizes being awarded. The first class will be termed the most comical organization in line and regardless of how ridiculous they present themselves, or whether they ride or walk, the judges will select the winner.

The second class will be awarded to representatives who present the most appropriate resemblance of what they represent. In other words, the winner of this class will be selected from the organization whose originality is superior. It further means that this class will be the most recherché one, and organizations are asked to go all out.

The third class will be awarded to the most comical individual in line, and the one who can go to the extremes in a grotesque manner will be awarded the prize.

The fourth prize will go to the most beautiful individual, and some of Milltown’s popular young set who crave for the handsome things should try to win this prize.

The fifth prize will be awarded to the “most handsome” representative body: either walking or presenting a float will answer, and we dare say that some of the women’s organizations will find it a delight in working for this prize. To win this prize, you must present a most fascinating appearance for the judges.

All prizes will be of equal value; the only difference in terming them first, second, and so on is to designate the different classes to be represented. This is published now in order that the organizations may know what they must present in order to receive a prize.

A committee was appointed to secure competent and impartial judges, and the following were appointed: Mayor Christian Kuhlthau, Charles Snediker, and Miss Anna Hofer.

The following organizations were represented at the meeting, showing the enthusiasm that was manifested in the coming celebration: Red Men, Senior Mechanics, Junior Mechanics, Red Feather Pocahontas, Borough Council, Eureka Fire Company, Daughters of Liberty, Kranken Huelts Verein, Girls Crescent Club, Jelly Seven Girls Club, Chamber of Commerce, Haymakers, Orient Court, Public School, Catholic Social Club, Republican Club, French War Veterans, Parent-Teacher Association, L. C. S. Girls Society, American Legion, Michelin Band, and the Social Hour Club. J. M. Crabiel, first vice president of the Chamber of Commerce, presided over the meeting.

This Day in history: October 9th, 1907

This Day in history: October 9th, 1907


The plant of the Milltown Enamel Works, located along the Raritan River Railroad, was sold by Sheriff Church this afternoon to John Whitehead, of South River, who had a claim against the place for $3,000. The sale was at the suit of George A. Van Wagenen, and the decree and costs amounted to $7,069.34.

Some additional History about The Milltown Enamel Works

The Milltown Enamel Works, later known as The Milltown Enamel Brick Company, was a notable entity in the early 20th-century brick manufacturing industry in Milltown, New Jersey. Initially incorporated as the Buckhart and Auer Company in 1900, it underwent a name change in 1901 and became a significant operation, producing specialized enameled, fire, and front bricks, but not common bricks. The company, which was listed as one of the top three industries in Milltown in 1901, even supplied the U.S. Navy in New York. In 1906, it partnered with the Harper Brick Company of Kinkora, N.J., but eventually ceased operations by 1911. Subsequently, the Milltown Terra Cotta & Fire Brick Co. was founded in 1909, rebuilt the old brick plant, and operated for a few more years before dissolving by 1913.