This day in History: Feb. 12, 1924

This day in History: Feb. 12, 1924

AUTO GAS IS FATAL TO MILLTOWNER

Body of Jules De Smet Found Under His Car In Garage

WAS AT WORK IN CLOSED BUILDING


MILLTOWN, Feb. 12.—Overcome by automobile gas, Jules De Smet of 78 Clay street, this place, was found dead in a garage owned by Adam Heyl of Ford avenue yesterday afternoon at 4 o’clock. Discovery of the body was made by Fred Heyl, a school boy.

De Smet, who kept his Chevrolet car in the garage, was expected to take his usual place in the Michelin  Tire Company at the 3:30 shift in the afternoon. After he had failed to put in an appearance, the foreman of the department sent a messenger to his home to ascertain if he was sick. The messenger reported that no one was at home, whereupon Mrs. De Smet, who also is employed by the company, was advised, of her husband’s absence and left the plant to investigate. she had been gone but a few minutes when the Heyl boy met her and related that her husband was dead under his car in the garage. The woman rushed back to  the Michelin plant lor help. Arriving there she fell grief stricken and was put in care of a nurse.

Superintendent H. R. B. Meyers sent A. L. P. Kuhlthau, the company’s handy man in medical requirements, to investigate and in the meantime asked for assistance from St. Peter’s Hospital and Dr* Hay wood was soon on his way, as well as the ambulance. Mr. Kuhlthau had verified the boy’s statement that life was extinct. Coroner Hubhard was notified and after giving a permit for the removal of the body stated that death had come about an hour before the discovery of the body. A pet dog was found dead in a corner of the garage.

Mr. De Smet apparently had started to make repairs of some kind. The garage was tightly closed and exhaust gas was the direct cause of his sudden death. All attempts to revive him proved futile. The victim was well known and well liked.


This day in History: Jan. 6 1922

This day in History: Jan. 6 1922

Milltown Memorial Fund Soon—

MILLTOWN, Jan.6.

A meeting of the memorial committee, was held Wednesday evening at the Public, School, at which time further plans were developed for the memorial fund drive which is scheduled to begin the week of January 16. Those whose efforts have brought the movement to the point where it now is feel very confident that when the drive starts every citizen of the town will respond readily and liberally. The drive is to raise $2,000 to erect a memorial to the soldiers and sailors of the late war. The memorial is to be erected on Ford avenue. The desired results can only he accomplished by the co-operation of the residents, so it behooves everyone to fall in line with this project which, when completed, will be an honor to every man, woman and child who helps and a fine asset to the borough.