This Day in History: May 20th, 1911

This Day in History: May 20th, 1911

WILL PAY $4,100 FOR FIRE TRUCK

MILLTOWN BOROUGH COUNCIL AWARDS CONTRACT TO JAMES BOYD & BROTHERS, OF PHILADELPHIA THE RESOLUTION PASSES BY 4– 1 VOTE.


MILLTOWN, May 20 – The borough will pay $4,100 for a motor fire truck. It was resolved at an adjourned Council meeting last evening. The resolution to purchase the truck from Boyd Brothers, of Philadelphia, was introduced by Councilman George Crabiel, a member of the fire committee. When the call came for ayes and nays the vote was as follows:

Ayes, Councilmen Baurles, Kulthau, Morris, Crabiel.

Nays, Councilman Rappleyea.

Councilman Miller was absent.

The Mayor accompanied by council members last Wednesday were the guests of the Boyd Brothers and were allowed the privilege of going through the factory. A demonstration was given and it is said it proved highly satisfactory to the members on the scene.

Ordinance for Franchise Passed

An ordinance was introduced to give the New York Telephone Company the rights and privileges of operating and repairing their lines on all streets and thoroughfares of the borough.

Among the conditions named in the ordinance, were that two telephones were to be given free to the borough and that one telephone would be added for every fifty subscribers received after the one hundred mark was reached; that the company shall erect no poles in front of a property without the property owner’s permission; that the company shall trim no trees without the property owners permission; that the borough could use the poles of the company for its electricity light wires. The ordinance was unanimously passed on its first and second readings.

…the company shall trim no trees without the property owners permission; that the borough could use the poles of the company for its electricity light wires.

Robert A. Harkins is ill

For the first time in many years, Borough Clerk Robert A. Harkins, was unable to be in his chair last evening. The clerk sent word that he was too ill to be present.


Original Apparatus - this is what the Milltown Fire Department used to fight fires back in 1911. The 2-cylinder auto car was sold around 1931.
Original Apparatus – this is what the Milltown Fire Department used to fight fires back in 1911. The 2-cylinder auto car was sold around 1931.

This Day in History: Wed. May 14th 1924

This Day in History: Wed. May 14th 1924

COST OF FIRE HOUSE AT MILLTOWN SET AT $15,000; MERCHANT SUBMITS PLANS


Milltown, May 14th – Architect Alexander Merchant submitted to the borough council on Monday night a sketch of the proposed new Fire house which is to be erected on the Cottage avenue side of the playground in the rear of the school. The cost of the building, submitted for approval of the officials was estimated at $15,000. A figure far in excess of what the borough fathers anticipated on spending. The plans, however, call for a magnificent home for the fire fighters. With a large place to house two machines on the ground floor. On the upper floor will be a meeting room and a recorder’s office.

It is also planned to have a lockup on the ground floor where “customers” may be kept over night. The plans call for a brick building. After debating the price, the councilmen could not come to any agreement on the subject and consequently had to lay the matter on the table for further consideration in view of the fact that only $8,000 was set aside in the budget for this purpose.

It is also planned to have a lockup on the ground floor where “customers” may be kept over night.

A request was received from the owners of Booream avenue asking the borough to take over the street. This was referred to the borough engineer to investigate. If the street is found in acceptable condition, the council will no doubt take it over at the next meeting. This refers to the eastern part of the street or the extension which has been opened during the past year. The street was recently scraped by the owners.

A very serious situation has arisen at the sewerage disposal plant in taking care of the waste from the eastern section of the borough or the part from the Russell Playing Card Company to the plant. It seems that this waste comes through the pipes in clugs due to the wax-like waste material which runs out from the Card Company plant. Many complaints have been made but the condition is such that only a clean out of the pipes every two days will remedy it. Further consideration of this matter will be given attention at the next meeting.

The “welcome” signs are, here and will be erected at the various places as soon as chairman of the streets committee can secure permits. They give a glad welcome to strangers when they enter the town and ask them to call again when leaving, They are to be erected at Miller’s. the entrance to Milltown from South River on the main street, at the big bridge, at Riva avenue bridge, at Elkins Lane, and at Ryder’s Lane.


10/04/1956 - HOSE COMPANY - These are 29 of the 40 members of the Eureka Hose Company No. 1 of the MIlltown Fire Department. The men with their equipment are pictured in front of their headquarters, the Cottage Avenue firehouse, built in 1925.
10/04/1956 – HOSE COMPANY – These are 29 of the 40 members of the Eureka Hose Company No. 1 of the MIlltown Fire Department. The men with their equipment are pictured in front of their headquarters, the Cottage Avenue firehouse, built in 1925.

This day in History Jan. 24 1924

This day in History Jan. 24 1924

The Daily Times: New Brunswick, N.J. Tuesday January 24 1924

MILLTOWN COUNCIL PROVIDES $8,000 FOR A NEW FIRE HOUSE, CONTAINING POLICE LOCK-UP

Milltown, Jan. 29—The borough budget occupied the careful attention of council last night and at a late hour, the complete tabulations were nut available as two Items had not been definitely settled upon. However, the entire budget will be ready for publication tomorrow as the remaining Items will be added to the list today as soon as exact figures will be ascertained to cover these accounts for the ensuing year. The 1924 budget will be slightly higher than last year, this being caused by an appropriation for a new fire house In North Milltown for the hose company. According to the figures available last night the new home for the firemen, which will also probably carry an office for the borough recorder as well as a lockup, will cost about $8,500. Part of this amount will be taken care of by a cash Item, while the remaining amount will be covered by the Issuing of a bond. The councilmen have tried to hold down the budget as low as possible and the proposed Fire house, which was discussed last year, is considered absolutely necessary. The 1923 budget called for $17,891.25 to be raised by general taxation, while the new one now in process will probably run around the $24, 000 mark, or $7,000 higher. The anticipated revenue for this year amounts to about $21,000. The school budget, which was drawn up last week, called for an Increase, so with the one from the borough coming, it will mean a slight jump in taxes for the coming year. In the borough budget the public library will come in for an Increase in donations when the council will set aside a figure of $160 for this worthy cause as against $100 for last year.