This Day in History: June 20th, 1913

This Day in History: June 20th, 1913

New Postmaster Begins Duties Here July 1

MILLTOWN, June 20.-On the 30th of this month William H. Kuhlthau will conclude his services as Milltown’s post- master, after faithfully serving the office fourteen years to the day… During that fourteen years there has been a vast increase in the growth of the borough as to population and manufacturing, thus greatly increasing the postal receipts and necessitating an advance in our office from fourth to second class.

When Mr. Kuhlthau was first appointed the postmaster in 1899 the receipts for that year aggregated $460.98. while the receipts ending the fiscal year! 1912 amounted to $24,230.80, showing an increase of 284,769.82 for the postal receipts. In addition to this the amount received for postal money orders during the fiscal year of 1912 aggregated 831,- 037.33, making the total amount of receipts 855,268.13. The Postal Savings Department has also been added, but the income in this department has not been so great.

When Mr. Kuhlthau was first appointed in 1899 the post office was situated in what is now the Waddington grocery store. In February of 1910 a change was made to the present site for a more central location and a more modern office was established. The increased business has also necessitated the use of more help, the present force consisting of a first assistant and two clerks. whereas the postmaster handled everything fourteen years ago.

Mr. Kuhlthau will not retire from business. He will engage himself in the coal and feed business of the Kuhlthau Brothers Company.

The following list shows the yearly receipts of the local post office and will give an idea as to the increase of the business here:

1899-1900            Sept. to July. $   460.99

1900-1901                                            627.38

1901-1902                                            695.29

1902-1903                                            2,520 17

1903-1904                                            2.500.33

1904-1905                                            2,652.72

1905-1906                                            3,148.45

1906-1907                                            4,523 70

1907-1908                                            5.191.05

1908-1909                                            7,736.25

1909-1910                                            12,163.29

1910-1911                                            18,968.31

1911-1912                                            24,230.50

New Postmaster Takes Hold on July  First.

J. V. L. Booraem, who has been appointed postmaster of Milltown, to succeed W. H. Kuhlthau, will take office on July 1st, and his friends are wishing him success in his new field of labor.

Mr. Booraem without a doubt is well fitted for the position. and will render to the public good and efficient service.  He is very prominent here, being a large real estate owner, greatly interested in the the development of the borough. was for merely a member of the Assembly, having e been elected on the Democratic ticket for the term of 1910-1911, also being the 18 organizer and at present president and ha general manager of the Milltown Coal & Lumber Company.


This Day in History: April 18th, 1924

This Day in History: April 18th, 1924


MILLTOWN, April 18-In recent years the growth of banking institutions in small towns has been most creditable. Tomorrow, however, Milltown opens the way for other communities when it will present the First National Bank for inspection; a structure equipped with practically all the labor-saving and protection devices of the Metropolitan bank. By these innovations, the local bank has opened up possibilities which will grow daily for the convenience of the population, and in a short while it is believed that the local institution will become an instrument of still greater service to the community. The new building is centrally located and makes a striking appearance with its front of Imitation granite. The exterior of the bank is readily understood by referring to the accompanying reproduction. Doors will be opened at 9 a.m., and will remain open until 9 p.m., for the general survey of the building, and a close Inspection of all the modern ideas which have been combined in this handsome structure.

The entire banking force of workmen will be on hand tomorrow to assist in the inspection as well as many of the directors. Souvenirs will be given away by the bank as a remembrance of the opening and it is expected that hundreds will avail themselves of the opportunity to view this magnificent new home of a fast growing organization. The bank directors make the invitation a most cordial one, and none should feel backward about making a call during the course of the day.

Wonderfully Well Arranged

Upon entering the bank, the vestibule and lobby with walls paneled off in Mycenian marble are attractive. To the right of the lobby is the president’s room, neatly decorated with walls of old ivory, making it an inviting place for business. An entrance is also made to this room from the information room which adjoins in the main banking space.

To the left of the lobby, will be found the ladies’ room, fully equipped dressed in the identical design as the president’s room.

The main banking room offers a picture of exquisite taste with plaster cornices set off with pilasters. This decoration refers to the upper part of the walls while the lower section is marked off and finished In Caen stone. The public space and the vestibule as well as the lobby carry a terrazzo flooring. To the right of the public space is the Information room, which has a flooring of natural cork, with checker board design. The floors of the president’s room, ladies’ room, and the working space provided for the employes is also laid off with cork flooring with checker board designs. Two check desks are in the public space and made of marble with heavy glass tops and pivoted windows.

Business Windows

The tellers’ windows comprise polished plate glass with wickets of solid bronze, while the counter looks handsome composed of Tavernelle and Mycenian marble. Five windows are placed in the screen to accommodate the customers, and each window carries a certain booth for the employe. The space alloted for the working force is ample and gives sufficient room for the transaction of all business. The lower banking room and public space is supplied with a wonderfully arranged lighting system, with eight large windows throwing down sunlight from the upper section, as well as several smaller windows in the lower section. Aside from this, five medium-large windows afford excellent light from over the mezzanine in the rear of the building.

The vault, built by the Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company of New York, is located directly to the left of the building next to the public space. Entrance to the section where the vault is located is through a bronze gate and grille. The vault carries a reinforced concrete shell. as well as a steel lining with a network of burglar alarm wires properly attached to a signal on the outside of the building. The door of the vault is a large circular one, supported on massive hinges with a combination time lock. The door is ten inches thick. Inside of the vault are several hundred steel safe deposit boxes as well as a large round magazine for the safe keeping of securities and cash. A large size mirror takes in the entire back of the vault. To the right of the larger vault, a smaller one is erected for the storage of records and books which, similar to the large one, is heavily reinforced.

Adjoining this vault, is a coupon booth of frosted glass where customers may be escorted to go over their papers, which are taken from the vault. On the extreme right of this is the men’s locker. Over the vaults is the mezzanine, which has been prepared in case of additional working space being needed. This is a very pretty part of the building, for a colonnade of heavy plaster columns, with an ornamental railing, gives an excellent set off. to the rear of the interior.

In depleting the artist’s taste In this interior decoration, one must not leave out the mahogany furniture and fixtures. The lofty celling is twenty feet high which affords an unusual chance for the light and air to come into the room. Over the front lobby and side rooms, is the board of directors department. It is a specious room in which to transact business. This room is paneled in several tones of pleasing colors with four large windows supplying light. A casement window overlooks the entire banking floor and from this position, one may get a full glance of the excellent taste of architecture used in the making of the building. In the large basement of the bank are located the boiler room, coal bunker, and two large vaults for the storage of records and the like. The bank will be heated by vacuum steam.

Directors Well Pleased

Every members of the Board of Directors of the bank is well pleased with the new home. The building should meet all requirements for years to come and has been erected at great expense.

President J. Burr Herbert and the other directors feel indebted to the architect and the contractors for the beautiful touch given the building. The architect apparently tried primarily for dignity of design and this was attained by study of the proportions of the building.


The First National Bank was Instituted in 1917, and with business of seven years in back of it, has advanced to the stage now where it has been able to accomplish much. The Iate J. V. L. Booream was the first president of the charter officials, and after his death J. Burr Herbert now president, was elected and has held the reign ever since. Of the original Board of Directors only the late Mr. Booream has been taken from the official body and his place has been taken by Cashier H. J. Booream. The bank has made wonderful strides in the past seven years and was compelled to Increase the capital stock from $25,000 to $50,000. The directors are a body of men with many business qualities, while the workers in the Institution are well versed in banking fundamentals. H. J. Boeream, the cashier, has been in this work for nineteen years, coming here from the First National Bank of New Jersey of New Brunswick. His interests in the local organization are keep and he devotes much time to making the bank one of the leaders in the county circles. Edwin M. Kuhlthau, assistant cashier, was also connected with the First National Bank of New Jersey of New Brunswick, and has been prominent figure in the advancement of the affairs of Milltown’s institution. Miss Helen Lindstrom and Miss Edith Lins are very capable members of the business staff and gained banking knowledge through the School of Banking in Elizabeth.

View this beautiful home tomorrow, and admire the tasty designs, Alexander Merchant of Highland Park was the architect in charge of the building, while the general construction work was under the supervision of the Milltown Realty Company, with Earl Seaman, a practical manager In charge of the work. The lighting system was Installed by Richard Perry, Plumbing work was done by L. Zach and Co., the masonry work by Robert Ferguson, heating by the Milltown Engineering Company and the painting by John Kemp.

The officers and directors of the bank are: President, J. B. Herbert: vice presidents, Christian Kuhlthau, and N. N. Forney; cashier, H. J. Booream: assistant cashier, Edwin M. Kuhlthau: directors. George Kuhlthau, Elmer E. Connolly, Spencer Ferry, C. C. Richter. and Fred W. De Voe, solicitor.

This Day in History: December 1st, 1920

Location of MIlltown National Bank 1917 - 1924


MILLTOWN, Dec. 1 – In a few days Milltown’s big banking establishment, the First National Bank, will distribute to over two thousand customers a Christmas fund of about $50,000 which speaks well for the increased business the banks did in 1920.

The local institution has been building up a great savings account for many borough people through their knack of thriftiness. which while it helped their own. business enabled many to set aside. a nice sum for a rainy day. The National Bank here has been growing by leaps and bounds and in their step forward much credit is. bestowed upon the able cashier, Howard J. Booream, and his capable assistant, Edwin Kuhlthau, as well as Ernest Sheppard, clerk, and Miss Helen Lindstrom, stenographer.

Both Mr. Booream and Mr. Kuhlthau are experienced banking men. Mr. Booream with fifteen years of work in this branch. They have untiringly worked to bring the local. bank on a par with any other its. size in the State and the Christmas fund this year, which will be given. out about the 13th of the month, is almost double that of 1919. The 1921 fund will begin in the middle of the month and efforts will be made to have it set 1920 in the background.

Fast Work on School.

There is a probability of the new addition to the public school here being completed before the present school term runs out. The contractors are working exceptionally fast and the framework of the annex which is of course of brick is almost up and as soon as the e roof is on, the remaining work will be only a question of time as the weather will not, interfere them.

The educators will be pleased to see it finished for they have certainly been up against a bad proposition to regulate the proper training and the one session for the scholars is not by any means tr satisfactory.

Tomorrow night in the Community House the Michelin five will entertain by playing the fast Triangles of Bound Brook. A good game is looked forward to.

The Women’s Republican Club of Milltown will meet tomorrow evening at 7 o’clock in the public school. All members and others interested are urged to attend.

This day in History Jan. 25 1923

This day in History Jan. 25 1923

The Daily Home News New Brunswick, N.J. Thurs. January 25 1923


Fred C. Schneider Buys Former Rubber Plant and Leases Same to Art Concern—Will Employ 100 Men.

Through the efforts of County Engineer Fred C. Schneider, another industrial plant will locate in Milltown within the next two weeks. Negotiations were completed this morning at the office of the Utility Construction Company for leasing the Tri-Unity Rubber Company plant on Washington avenue, Milltown, to the Royster Art Company of Boston.

The Tri-Unity Rubber plant was purchased Tuesday at a Chancery sale by Mr. Schneider for $10,500. The receiver of the plant was Howard J. Booream of Milltown. The sale is subject to confirmation by the Court of Chancery at Trenton on next Tuesday.

The Royster Art Company is now located on Federal street, Boston, Mass., and it is planned by the company to operate a. branch factory in Milltown.   The company will employ about 100 men when in full operation. About twenty men will be brought from the Boston plant.

The company is engaged in the manufacture of high-colored papers and boxes. Fancy high-colored paper candy and perfume boxes, etc. will be manufactured at the Milltown plant