This Day in History: October 2nd, 1905

This Day in History: October 2nd, 1905

MILLTOWN, Oct. 2 – Construction efforts on the Milltown bridge have been ongoing for roughly ten days. The former flooring of the wagon path has been dismantled in parts, with pilings being driven down by a conventional steam pile driver. Subsequently, large iron pipes, with a diameter of about 3 feet, are placed over them, which are then filled with concrete to form pillars that will support the new iron cross-stringers. The work is advancing briskly, albeit under very constrained conditions.

Local Community Updates

The L.C. S. Society convened last Friday evening at the residence of Miss Fannie Huestis to celebrate her birthday.

Fred Richter has inaugurated a dry goods store at the previous location of Roeder’s, with Mr. Aneckstein from Sayreville supplying the stock and guiding him in this venture.

Misses Mamie Gluck and Mary Oehl from Milltown, alongside Miss Mym Schlosser, are now attending the New Brunswick High School as part of the 1908 class.

Mr. and Mrs. William H. Voorhees of Main Street have returned from a three-week visit to her father’s place in Lancaster and her sister’s in York, PA. Prof. J.T.D. Heineken has been re-elected as the president of the East Brunswick Teacher’s Professional Reading Circle, with Miss Anna Pilt as vice president, Miss Lizzie S. Henderson as treasurer, and Roy P. Stillwell as secretary. The circle, consisting of thirteen members, will have their next gathering on Saturday, October 21, at 9:30 a.m., at Summer Hill, No. 6.

Educational Meet

The teaching staff of Sayreville assembled last Friday afternoon at School No. 2, where Jesse Selover was elected as president, Jos Headley, B.S., as vice president, and Miss Henrietta Straub as both secretary and treasurer. Plans for a fruitful and enjoyable professional reading year were discussed. Mr. Selover shared insights on President Roosevelt’s participation in the National Teachers Association convention at Asbury Park during the summer.

Church Announcements

Rev. J.E. Shaw will administer holy communion at the Methodist Church come Sabbath morning, with an engaging sermon planned for the evening.

Rev. William T. Barney returned on Wednesday evening from the Synod of the German Reformed Church held in Baltimore, MD this year. Elder George Kuhlthau accompanied him, and they both explored Washington’s sights, given the proximity. Rev. Mr. Barney delivered sermons in his church yesterday morning and evening and is planning to conduct a German class every Saturday for those interested in learning to read and speak the language under scholarly guidance.

Town Personnel

John has been assigned as the Inspector for the new towers on our M01- Board of James Townsend, who is the night watchman now.

Unfortunate Incident

Mabel Fahrenholts, the three-year-old child of Henry Fahrenholtz residing on Riva Avenue, encountered a hornet’s nest last Saturday morning and suffered severe stings. Dr. F Riva was summoned to attend to the young child.

This Day in History: November 22, 1913

This Day in History: November 22, 1913


MILLTOWN, Nov. 22.-An adjourned meeting of the Borough Council was held last evening. Mayor Conrad Richter presided. Councilmen Chas. Baurles, Henry Kuhlthau, Geo. E. Crabiel, Al Skewis, B. Miller, Clerk R. A. Harkins, Messrs. C. W. Waddington and R. B. Sheppard of the water commission board were present.

The following bills were ordered paid:

Chas. Hoffman. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 2.00

Home Insurance Co. . . . . . . . . . . $12.80

C. P. Stelle. . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . $239.35

Mrs. John Lins was permitted to remove two trees in front of her property on Clay and Church streets The trees had been damaged by lightning.

A resolution approving the plans and specifications of the Sewer and Water Commission was adopted.

An ordinance regarding the widening of Riva avenue, from Main to Clay street was introduced passed on the first reading.

The ordinance provided that the borough would remunerate property owners for any damage that might be incurred and if agreement could not be made the Borough will have the right to condemn such property as may be necessary to obtain the desired width.

Prior to introduction of the above ordinance a petition from several property owners along the avenue was presented.

A resolution was adopted that the borough clerk post notice of intention for widening of the avenue in five of the most prominent places in the borough.

On motion the clerk was authorized to notify the railroad as to the condition of the crossing at Main street near the Michelin Tire Co.

The clerk was also authorized to notify the Board of Freeholders as to the condition of the bridge crossing Lawrence Brook.

The light committee was authorized to purchase a transformer for use in connection with the ventilating system at the school.

On motion the clerk was authorized to send a special notice to the property owners along Riva avenue, who have not as yet signed petitions for widening of said avenue.

Milltown to Have New Order.

C. H. Crenning, who is well versed in lodge work, has decided to use his best efforts towards instituting an Order of Owls in the borough, provided he can secure the necessary signers to the petition, which he is about to circulate. While the Order of Owls is practically now here in the East, it was founded at South Bend, Ind., in November, 1904. During its existence the growth has been marvelous, and branches of the order have been established in nearly every State in the Union as well as through Canada. Nearly 1,900 nests have been instituted with a membership of over 300,000.

The owls have a furnished home for their orphans where they educate them, at South Bend, Ind. They also have their own hospital. They now have a bill before Congress to set aside public land for a tuberculosis hospital and camp for the members of the order. They assist deserving widows of deceased members by a monthly pension. Their ritual; is beautiful and ennobling. They advocate no creed-nothing offensive to any man’s religion.

The special charter fee is $5 per member, and any one between the ages of 13 and 55 desiring to be- come a charter member may do so by singing the petition. After the charter is closed the regular initiation fee will not be less than $10; hence you can readily see the advisability of getting in on the ground floor.

The motto of the Order of Owls is as follows:

“There’s so much bad in the best of us,

And so much good in the worst of us,

It hardly behooves any of us

To speak ill of the rest of us.

They also have a toast, which reads as follows:

“Here’s to the man whose hand Is firm when he holds your own. Like a grip of steel that makes you feel

You’re not in the world alone.”

The new home of Charles Durham is nearing completion so far as the exterior is concerned.

Other Town Topics.

William Kuhlthau, Sr., is spending a few days at Morris Park, L. I. A reward of $10 has been offered. for information that will lead to the arrest of the parties that entered the building, adjoining Red Men’s Hall, and splattered paint, about the walls and floor.

At the Churches.

At the Methodist Church there will be special revival services, both morning and evening, and in the event of Miss Annie Agnes Smith, the evangelist, not putting in an appearance, Rev. L. L. Hand will occupy the pulpit. There is, however a likelihood of Miss Smith being able to take up her duties here tomorrow.

At the German Reformed Church there will be memorial service in the morning at 10.30, and members of families that have been bereaved during the past year are especially requested to be present. Sunday school will be held at 9.30 a. m. as usual. Young People’s Society will meet at 7 o lock and usual evening service will be held at 7.30. there will be services held on thanksgiving Day at 10.30 a. m.